Monday, September 29, 2008

Sawasdee...lah?

I'm finally doing it. After being a busybody and reading my friends' blogs, I've decided to just DO IT!

Why 'sawasdee..lah'. I'm a Singaporean who has been living in Bangkok for the past 8 years. To recognise the country of my birth and the country that I now call home, I thought to combine the 2 most recognised phrases that are unique to these 2 countries.

'Sawasdee' is the Thai greeting for 'hello' and 'good-bye'. Always accompanied by a 'wai' that is done so gracefully by the Thais.

'Lah' has no meaning. Well, at least no real meaning in a dictionary. It's generally used liberally by Singaporeans from all walks of life (there is a 'lah' in me just waiting to come out). To me, it's like a verbal comma,full-stop, exclamation....

Join me as I navigate life in Bangkok as a 'Minister of Home Affairs' aka stay-at-home mum and hopefully provide some insight to my life here in the City of Angels.




3 comments:

petite fleur said...

Welcome to the blogging world. It's about time. Look forward to reading your stories.

Unknown said...

Of cos "lah" has great meaning. It stands for so many things. It suggests happiness, sadness, excitement, boredom, irritation, relief, etc.

So,the next time you say Sawsdee lah, please do also explain the context of the "lah", ok hor?

eunice said...

I think I also left out the 'huh' 'wah' 'that one'....the list is endless!! Don't you just love Singlish!