Saturday, April 18, 2009

Water, water everywhere





This year's Songkran was marred by the political unrest that started a few days before the New Year. Since living here, we have experienced a coup, state of emergencies (think it was three) and a few protests. In a way, it's been interesting to see this kind of political mechanism work (rightly or wrongly).

I was horrified as I watched the news coverage of the protests and the storming of the hotel where the ASEAN summit was being held. If I wasn't living here in BKK, I would fear for whoever was living in Thailand. It felt quite surreal to watch the violent images on TV and then look out my window to see my son and his friends screaming with joy and laughter as they doused each other and any car/bike/person that was unfortunate to come in their path. They were oblivious to what was happening out in the real world. Their immediate thoughts were just to have fun. And I was glad that they did. It was contagious as we adults joined in the water fights that went on. We chased the kids and each other with pails or water.

For two whole days, we 'played Songkran' as Sean would say. The children started in the morning, took a break for lunch and continued in the late afternoon. I honestly odn't know where they got the energy from. I was exhausted and I didn't run around as much as they did.

I felt guilty as so much water was wasted. All over BKK, water fights were happening and people were chucking water like nobody's business. I admit that in this heat (38C) it felt great to have a bucket of water thrown on you.

At the end of the Songkran holidays, it was back to reality for many people. Messes had to be cleaned up and life had to go back to as normal as it could.

This is one fun and fabulous festival that I will miss when I leave BKK. It's such a simple thing - using water. No electronics, no gadgetry and nothing high tech. Back to basics and it is great!

4 comments:

monlim said...

What great fun! It's good knowing that you managed to enjoy this tradition even with the awful stuff going on in the rest of the country. And it must have been a relief to be able to cool down from the heat.

Sean looks so mature!! I can't believe he's the same age as Andre :P

eunice said...

Sean may LOOK mature, but still very childish. He was very curious about Andre cos he read your post about getting him glasses.

monlim said...

You know, if you're ever back in SG for a visit, we HAVE to meet up. I'm sure Andre and Sean will get along like a house on fire!

eunice said...

Monica, for sure. Can you imagine the conversation the 2 of them will be having?