Monday, March 16, 2009

Final first impressions





So, we made our recce trip to HCMC. Here is what I feel so far:

Traffic: As bad as BKK only 100 times more noisy. Every one is trigger happy on the car/motor bike horn. I realise that some cars have two kinds of horns - the short, sharp one that says 'hey, get out of the way' and the more melodious one that says 'by the way, you are too close for comfort'. Both kinds of horns are used indiscriminately and often.

The right of way belongs to the smaller vehicle ie motor bike. So the car inches forward while the bikes flow around it.

Pedestrians: Rule of thumb when crossing the road - show no fear. Once you hesitate, you are gone. Step confidently off the curb (pray like mad) and then take baby steps (and pray even more) till you reach the other side. A local had this tip: make eye contact then look away. Once you have done that, it's the driver's responsibility NOT to knock you down.

People: Generally they are very nice and polite. Of course they find it hysterical when we mangle Vietnamese. Many of them understand basic English. When all else fails, sign language always works.

At the market.

Shopping: After BKK, it's like going back to Singapore 20 years ago. I asked to be taken to their best shopping centre and supermarket. One is called Diamond and the other is Parkson (yes, the chain from Malaysia).

The supermarket is small with not much selection. Things are also more expensive, more like prices in Singapore. Eg. a bag of 5kg rice is about S$8 in BKK but it's S$20 in HCMC.

As for the shopping centre itself, I think I'll be saving money as there isn't much to buy. Even the bookshop had few titles. Looks like I'll be stocking up on books too before I leave.

Decided to venture to the market. Biggest one is called 'Ben tinh' and supposedly has everything. I sort of expected a mini Chatujak. It had loads of food and fresh produce (think that is where I'm going to buy my fruit and veg). It also had loads of touristy stuff like lacquer ware, silk bags etc. Didn't take us long to walk it.

Pho Bo or beef noodles.

Food: Aaahhh... my favourite part of any country. most famous Vietnamese dish is Pho. We had a few versions. Tried the touristy version (in a restaurant called Pho 24 which is a chain), which was tasty but so-so. Then a local recommended one that is in a coffee shop (my favourite kind of place) and it was delicious! They ate it with 'you char kway' (fried dough fritters) which I have never tried before but it was addictive.

We tried the fried sprin
g rolls, grilled seafood and cuisine from Central Vietnam (the Hue region) which was a little different. The noodles were a bit more spicy and they had dry versions with grilled pork.

Eating out is not cheap. An average meal we had was about S$20 for three bowls of noodles.

One of the cafes where people all face in one direction and just chat or people watch.

Bits and pieces: The only fast food chain there is KFC. There was not a McDonalds or Starbucks to be seen. There are many little cafes all over and people just sit (all facing outwards) , drink their beverage and watch the world go by.

I did not see any stray animals when I was there. I was told that Vietnamese do eat dogs. Don't think they'll be very interested in my two doggies as they are small and skinny.

The streets are better paved than the ones in BKK. Which makes walking around a little easier.

Life there will be different for all of us. It will not be what we are used to here in BKK or even Singapore. I look at it as being a next phase in our family's life and an adventure that will last us for life.

2 comments:

Edith said...

I will try to get the names of places that are cheap for you. Hope my next trip there, you will be able to be my guide.

BTW, shall we meet up when you are back in Sing?

monlim said...

What an adventure! The traffic looks scary though, I think I'll be one of those petrified ones unable to step off the pavement...

The food looks interesting, although I've never really taken to Vietnamese cuisine. You have to share more and take pics of the food when you're there!