Monday, November 24, 2008

Day trip....

The weather has been cooling down. It's been playing havoc on everyone's systems and people are falling sick (Sean is recovering and I'm going to be ill). When the cool season comes, people head for the hills - most popular is up North (Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Mae hong Son). Nearer to Bangkok and easily accessible by car is Khao Yai.

We decided to take a day trip to Khao Yai. Located about an hour and a half (by car) from BKK, Khao Yai is a favourite with many Bangkokians for a day trip or a weekend away. It helps that it is cooler than BKK and has quite a few golf courses there. Many rich Thais have weekend houses (or should I say mansions) there.

There are quite a bit of things to see and do aside from golf. Along the way is the Chokchai Farm which is Thailand's answer to Bonanza (not kidding, the theme song is used for the video). The farm offers tours and as it is a working farm, city folk like us get to see a real black and white cow up close (if lucky, you get to milk it), how ice-cream is made etc. Chokchai Farm has one of the best burgers I've eaten (guess the proximity to the source of patties does help). We skipped the farm tour as we had been on it before but stopped by for the children to ride the ATV. The circuit was short but the kids loved it.
ATV ride. The children love it but at 180 bht per round (which lasts less than 5 minutes), we didn't allow them too many times.

Khao Yai is also know for, beleive it or not, it's vineyards. I've never visited a vineyard in Thailand and didn't really expect much. I mean, wine is not exactly a main Thai export, is it? I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised that it looked like any vineyard that I had visited overseas. I wouldn't know about the wine (I don't drink) but the vines, tasting room etc. was a surprise. There were tour groups visiting the vineyards and buying everything in sight. OK, have to admit that since I don't drink, I end up buying food stuff.

We had a great day that was away from the city and everyone got to experience another aspect of Thailand. Amazing Thailand, wouldn't you say?

No comments: