Sunday, February 22, 2009

I'm Popeye the sailor man..


Current favourite vegetable.



My son is a closet vegetarian. It's not a bad thing but he is so skinny that he's been described as a having skin stretched over his skeleton.

It's my fault because when I was pregnant, my friends will complain about how their children refuse to eat their veggies and they had to find ingenious ways of feeding it to them. I resolved that MY baby was not going to be like this. So when Sean started on solids, he was fed, carrots (not too much cos didn't want him to turn orange), loads and loads of broccoli (supposed to be good for brain) and spinach (because Popeye ate it). Till he was about 5, his favourite meal was plain porridge and steamed vegetables (no seasoning at all). It took him sometime to enjoy food with flavour.

Now, he would rather eat a whole plate of spinach or tau gae (bean sprouts) than meat or seafood. In a way, this does make things a little easier when we travel because I remember when we were in Lijiang (China) and donkey (yes, you read it right) was on the menu, I cooked some leafy veg in the steamboat and fed it to him. He ate it without complaint and loved it because the vegetables were so fresh.

I'm sure that as he grows, he's going to discover other things that he likes, but for now, he is my little vegetarian.

1 comment:

monlim said...

Don't complain! It's a rare and good problem. I fed my kids carrots, broccoli, etc when they were young too, but somehow with Andre, he veered towards fish and chips faster than you can say Popeye. They eat their veggie but you can be sure it's not their favourite food...