Sunday, February 1, 2009

Leaving...

Yesterday I had to tell Sean that we were leaving BKK for another country. My boy, who has grown up in BKK and calls it home, cried. Sean is not one for crying over 'little' things. The last time he cried was when our dog Raisin died.

It broke my heart to see him turn away and his skinny shoulders shake because he didn't want me to see him cry. Of course he wanted to know why. I had to explain to him it was because daddy's job required us to move. He went on to ask about how we were going to leave his friends, teachers, my maid and even his Chinese tuition teacher.

I told him we still had about 6-7 months before we had to leave. His reply, "since we've stayed here for 9 years, can't we stay another 9 before I am ready to leave?"

I wanted to tell him that I was not ready to leave too. It made me start thinking about how living in BKK had changed me.

For one thing, I had to leave my confort zone. I have met people that I wouldn't have met or bothered to get to know if I was living in Singapore. I am actually a pretty reserved person but I have had to open up in order to let these new friends into my life.

Before coming here, I never went for a holiday without TH. Here, I have been on many trips without him and it has not affected our relationship. I remember the first trip I took without him was to Hua Hin by train. It was because the hotel voucher we had bought was going to expire and TH had to work that weekend. So, with baby, stroller and luggage in tow, I boarded the train to Hua Hin worried that I would not be able to have a good time. Surprise, we did and from them on, my friends and I have packed ourselves with our children and gone for short trips while the dads worked.

I have never not worked. When I came with a 3 month old infant, I honestly found it very difficult NOT working and then having to take care of a baby. I was so used to setting goals and trying to meet my sales target that it took me sometime to actually slow down and enjoy my time with my baby.

The most important part of living here was for me to be able to look after Sean. I have had the privilege to watch my baby grow from a colicky infant to energetic toddler to funny, sweet little boy.

All said and done, I love my life here. We have benefited as a family and for me as a person. I know that the next place we go to will bring us all different experiences that will last us a lifetime.

5 comments:

monlim said...

awww... it must be tough, having to leave a place that you now call home. Where will you be going next?

It's interesting to see how you've grown too as a person, from becoming a SAHM to travelling without your dh. That's the beauty of being human, we're always learning something new about ourselves. Tell Sean that he'll find lots of great friends in the new place too.

eunice said...

It is tough and it has not really sunk in yet. We'll be heading to the land of Pho....HCMC

You are right about learning something about ourselves. Thanks for the positive words!!!

Lilian said...

:( Hugs to Sean. It gets harder moving the older they get. I dread the day we have to leave Moscow, cos I know my older boy will be really upset; he's formed really strong bonds with his bunch of buddies here.

But I tell him he can always keep in touch with his friends and he'll find new friends too. If we hadn't come to Moscow, he wouldn't have met his current friends right?

I find that it helps to psyche yourself up about the new place you're going to, cos enthusiasm is always infectious. If you start getting excited and sharing that feeling with Sean, it'll help him look forward to the move too. All the best in your new adventure!

monlim said...

Well, that's a nice place too! I hope you like pho :D

Too bad, I thot you'd be coming back and we could meet up, we should try to the nice time you're back for a holiday!

eunice said...

Lilian: Yes, it is a new adventure, isn't it? Wow,Moscow...it's a place I would like to visit one day.Am going to kaypo more on your blog to read about life there.

Monica:I definitely want to meet up with you!