Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chinatown





Chinese are everywhere. Almost every country has a Chinatown. Bangkok is no exception and I love the Chinatown here as it reminds me of the Chinatown of my childhood ie an assault of noise, people and smells (and what a variety of smells)!

Chinatown here is called Yawarat. It is divided into a few sections and if you are taking a taxi, you have specify which part you want to go to. The 3 parts I normally go to are:

Samphaeng which is the wholesale side. They sell everything from hair-clips, cotton buds, pens, costume jewellery etc. The stalls there also sell festive items eg as it's nearing Halloween, there are loads of Halloween decorations for sale. I go there for party bags for birthdays, Christmases etc.


Typical scene where pedestrians, cars and delivery men hauling huge boxes jostle for space.

There is also a small section that sells dried food. It is there that I buy my dried shrimp, ikan bilis (small dried anchovy) , dried mushroom etc.


One of my favourite stalls in the wet market section. They sell all kinds of snacks,biscuits, sweets (all at wholesale price). Owner told me that lots of Singaporeans go there to buy chewing gum!

The wet market across from Samphaeng that has ingredients that have disappeared from the Singapore market scene (so my aunts claimed when I brought them there). It is there that I buy my crab meat (steamed, peeled and in beautiful chuncks), fresh ground pepper (there is a spice shop there that will grind it fresh for you) and chye poh galore (sweet,salty, chopped, chunky, whole pieces)



Wet market

Pahurat which is the textiles street and sells fabric of all kinds. Wonderful for people who can sew, have a good tailor or are creative. A friend found fabric to tailor a dress for a jungle themed party (it was slightly furry with a zebra stripes). Stalls selling trims, ribbons, buttons and bows also boggle my mind and I try to get the creative juices going when I am there, but to no avail.

In Chinatown you will find many Thai-Chinese (most are first or second generation here) and are of Teochew descent. So I get to practise my very, very rusty Teochew when they realise I'm Chinese.

It won't be Chinatown if you can't find the touristy cheongsam.

Chinatown here is synonymous with good food. Only thing is you have to brave the traffic (it is REALLY horrendous) and on occasion I have been stuck there because the taxis are in the midst of a change in shift and won't take passengers.

I always try to go in the early mornings as it's not so hot and crowded. The crowds can be overwhelming especially during hot weather. I sometimes feel like I'm going through an obstacle course that not only includes people but cars,carts and trolleys as well. Do I love it? Definitely, YES!


2 comments:

monlim said...

Wahhh... you make me want to go there! The sights are just so tantalising, it's a little like olden days singapore :)

eunice said...

You must visit there if you are in BKK. It is like the old days in Singapore before everything became sanitised.