Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tofu, Japanese style




I have to admit that I'm not very health conscious when it comes to food. I love fried, salty, greasy food. My friends will tell you that my ultimate favourite food is fried chicken, especially the skin.

Ever since Sean was born, I have made an effort to cook healthier food. Sean eats the healthiest in our family as he was fed steamed vegetables, meat and fish for the longest time. Even now, he'd rather eat spinach than chicken. I suspect that he is a closet vegetarian!

We love tofu. We love Japanese food. There is a ramen shop nearby that serves this cold tofu. I decided to make my own version. It is easy to prepare (no cooking required), tasty and best of all, healthy!

Ingredients:

1 tub of soft tofu (sometimes referred to as silken tofu)

3-4 tbs soya sauce )
3-4 sesame oil ) mixed

For garnishing:

Fried shallots
Spring onions chopped up fine
Tuna flakes
Ground dried shrimp (optional)

Method:

Cut up tofu into cubes.

Pour soya sauce and sesame mixture over it.

Liberally sprinkle garnish on top. Serve.

1 comment:

petite fleur said...

I don't think I've ever eaten uncooked tofu (or at least that I know of). I like the taiwanese style of eating cold tofu with century eggs. Yum